The following activity can be used in conjunction with or as a follow-up to the story Today is Monday by Eric Carle. To use, print, cut out and laminate the images (sequencing cards) provided in the attachment below. Sequencing cards can then be used as a whole group activity during or after the reading of the story, as a small group center activity, or as an independent activity.
Strategies to aid in sequencing:
- Provide a copy of the book for reference.
- Allow students to refer to the calendar to put days of the week in order.
- Prompt students to look at the pictures (they show what food item is being eaten).
- Teach students mnemonic devices. For example, "fresh fish" is eaten on "Friday". All three words begin with an "f". Or "ice cream" is eaten on "Sunday" or what could be remembered as "sundae".
- Teach the song that accompanies the story.