Overview: The following worksheet asks comprehension questions related to the story The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston and Maggie Kneen. Use it as a follow-up to your guided reading group, as an assessment, or as a literacy center.
Recommended Grade Level(s): Second, Third
Objective(s): Students will be able to...
- Answer wh-questions to demonstrate key details of a text.
- Describe the characters in the story (their traits, feelings, motivations) to explain how their actions contributed to the sequence of events in the story.
1 copy of The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston and Maggie Kneen
The Lonely Scarecrow Comprehension Worksheet
- Provide a separate sheet of paper for students who have large handwriting and/or find it difficult to write within the area provided.
- Shorten the list of questions by folding the paper in half for students that have difficulty attending for the amount of time needed to complete the entire worksheet or for students who have difficulty writing for extended periods of time.
- Allow access to the book for students who have difficulty remembering details about the story.
- For each question, provide page numbers from the book where the student can find the answers.
Common Core Alignment:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.3 Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events