Overview: The ability to put words in alphabetical order is a much needed one, but only comes with practice. The following alphabetical order worksheets can be used to provide such practice. Each worksheet features words related to a particular holiday. As an added bonus, they also feature a detachable word list that students can cut out and put in order before writing them down. The words in the word list also have the first 1-2 letters in bold to help students in their manipulation of them. Use as part of a literacy center or in a seasonal learning packet for use during independent worktime.
Recommended Grade Level(s): First, Second
Objective(s): Students will...
- Students will rewrite a list of words in alphabetical order.
Valentine's Day Alphabetical Order Worksheet
Fourth of July Alphabetical Order Worksheet
Halloween Alphabetical Order Worksheet
Thanksgiving Alphabetical Order Worksheet
Christmas Alphabetical Order Worksheet
- Provide an alphabet strip.
- Divide the list in half.
- Prompt students to write numbers beside each word as they determine the order. Then write the order on the lines.
- Cut out the words at the bottom of the page. Manipulate them so they are in order and then write them on the lines.
- Draw students' attention to the beginning letter(s) in bold print of the words in the box given at the bottom of the page.
Assign students the task of creating their own list of holiday words. After making their list, they can ask a friend to put them in order.
Common Core Alignment:
Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.